Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Mushroom and Bacon Soup

As I mentioned once before in my blog, I have been quite obsessed with soups lately.  Each week Andy and I try a new recipe or two and a few weeks ago we made this.  The earthiness of the mushrooms, the spice from the Sriracha, and the saltiness of the bacon are perfect flavors to indulge in during this blistering winter.  I found the original recipe from chow.com, but like most recipes I tweaked it to compliment my palate.  

Enjoy! 

Mushroom and Pancetta Soup Recipe
Printable Version 
   
2 ounces shiitake mushrooms (I do believe any mushroom would work!) 
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2 cup dry white wine 
1/4 lb bacon, small dice 
8 ounces fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
2 tablespoons Sriracha
2 scallions, ends trimmed and thinly sliced 

Marinate mushrooms with one cup of vegetable broth and dry whine in a bowl.  Set aside.

Heat a cast iron pan over medium-high heat and cook bacon until golden brown and crisp.  Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.

Combine remaining three cups of vegetable broth and two cups water in a stock pot over medium heat. Once simmering, add mushroom mixture and bacon.  Stir in sesame oil and Sriracha, adjust seasoning to taste.

Add spinach, garnish with scallions, and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment