Sunday, February 16, 2014

Vegas, Baby!

In the beginning of the month Andy and I were fortunate enough to take a short vacation to Las Vegas, Nevada.  I was grateful for this trip due to all the stress of moving, being unemployed for awhile, and starting a new job.  It was the perfect way to slow down and refresh.  I believe having something to always look forward to brightens your life a little more.  The main reason we took these few days off was to celebrate the union of our best Santa Fe friends Shelly and Marek.  We were honored to be a part of their special day and I can honestly say it was the best wedding I have ever attended.  We started the weekend going our separate ways.  It was Bachelorette/Bachelor Party time!  I will spare the details of our individual experiences that night, my brutal morning breakfast at The Cosmopolitan explains how much fun was had. So that morning we recovered from our eventful nights and proceeded with a small agenda of wedding festivities.  The ceremony was held at The Graceland Wedding Chapel, a delicious reception dinner at Firefly, and we ended the night at The Bar at Time Square where we enjoyed dueling pianos play through the night.  BEST WEDDING EVER.




On our last full day Andy and I decided to venture the strip, see a show, and eat SO much great food.  My top two sightseeing experiences was seeing Dale Chihuly's Gallery and The Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay.

Dale Chihuly's gallery in the Crystals is a small one, but honestly that didn't matter.  Chihuly's talent is represented in every inch of that storefront.  Actually, one of Chihuly's most famous pieces is the ceiling sculpture at the Bellagio, Fiori di Como, which we saw later that afternoon.  At over 50,000 pounds, Fiori di Como is the largest glass sculpture ever made!  Andy told me about this piece of art after his first Vegas visit and seeing it in person was just as as amazing as he explained. Walking into the lobby of the Bellagio and seeing the Chihuly sculpture suspended from the ceiling is breathtaking, truly an unforgettable experience.


Equally as awesome was the Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay. We were a little skeptical at first since the last aquarium we visited was a let down and the price at the Reef was quite high, but  I am SO happy we checked it out.  I guess the main tank is over a million gallons and is one of the largest in North America, which seems crazy to me since we were in the desert.  It took us a little over an hour to enjoy this small aquarium, but we took our time and snapped a few amazing shots.  I could see this exhibit to be just jaw dropping for little ones (if you brave taking them to Vegas).  The facility, however, IS amazing and displays numerous species, a section where you can PET the stingrays, and it features a shark tunnel that is a little trippy at first, but really, really cool!





Overall my first Vegas experience was great, too short, but really fun.  I was able to relax with Andy, see my closest Santa Fe friends for the first time since we moved, and I even won $9 playing roulette!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment