Monday, January 27, 2014

Sweet Potato Peanut Bisque

I have been quite obsessed with soups lately.  There is something about a nice, big bowl of warm soup hovering in your hands.  Andy and I have tried so many new soup and chile recipes since the temperature has plummeted below zero here in Wisconsin.  But tonight's is my ultimate favorite thus far.  Sweet and spicy - the perfect balance of flavors on a cold winter night.  I found the original recipe from eatingwell.com, but like most recipes I come across I tweaked it to compliment my palate.  Enjoy!

** I figured out how to create printable versions of my recipes.  Simply click on the link under the name of the recipe and print!! Let me know if it doesn't work though :) 

Sweet Potato Peanut Bisque
Printable Version

2 sweet potatoes
olive oil  
yellow onion, chopped
garlic clove, minced
3 cups tomato juice
green chiles (We still had some New Mexican chilies, but I know you can buy diced chiles at the grocery store.  Remember a little goes a long way!)
2 tsp ginger, minced 
1/2 tsp allspice
vegetable broth, to thin the bisque
1/2 cup peanut butter
ground pepper, to taste
fresh cilantro leaves for garnish

Pierce sweet potatoes with fork and microwave until cooked through, set aside.

Heat oil in large skillet (we used our cast iron) over medium heat.  Add onion and cook until lightly brown.  Add garlic, stir in juice, green chiles, ginger, and allspice.  Adjust heat and let mixture boil gently for 10 minutes or so.

Meanwhile, cut the sweet potatoes in half and spoon out the insides into a blender then add onion mixture to blender.  (You might have to do this in batches.)  Depending on your preference of thickness add a little broth and the peanut butter, puree until completely smooth.  Add more stock and reheat in stock pot if needed.  Season with pepper and garnish with cilantro.

We had a small dried out baguette that I turned into croutons for an additional topping.  I simply cut cube like pieces and tossed them in a little oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper.  We cooked them at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.  So good!!  






No comments:

Post a Comment