Saturday, August 24, 2013

Pan Seared Chicken Thighs with Balsamic Cherry Sauce

It's been awhile since I posted a recipe.  I have the house to myself for the weekend so I thought to catch up on a few me things.  

I don't remember where Andy and I originally found this recipe, but, like we do to a lot of recipes, we switched it around some.  I hope you enjoy it! 


Pan Seared Chicken Thighs with Balsamic Cherry Sauce

4 bone-in chicken thighs
2 shallots, chopped 
1/8 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 cup chicken stock
1 tbs balsamic vinegar
2 tbs cherry jam
1-2 handfuls of dried cherries
olive oil as needed
salt and pepper to taste 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat olive oil in large cast iron pan over medium heat.  Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, place top-side down in pan.

Sear chicken until deeply brown and cooked halfway through.  Flip chicken and transfer to oven; bake until just cooked through, internal temperature should be 170.

Remove chicken from oven and transfer to a plate.  Add shallot to chicken drippings adding a dash of salt, pepper, and cardamom, cook over medium heat until shallots are translucent, about 3 minutes.

Add wine, stock, vinegar, and jam; bring to a boil. Reduce by half.  Stir cherries into sauce and return chicken to pan.  Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until sauce thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.  To serve, spoon equal amounts of sauce over each piece of chicken.


We think this meal is perfect with brussels sprouts cooked in bacon or asparagus on the grill.  I am no chef, but enjoy cooking.  Please feel free to contact me with any questions regarding this recipe or others I've posted.  I hope you love this meal as much we do, we make it a few times a month! 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I have some cherries from our neighbors I might try it with tofu :)

    ReplyDelete