Sunday, January 20, 2013

Breakfast Smoothies

For Christmas this year my brother, Joey, bought me a single serving smoothie maker.  It is similar to a normal blender, but smaller and you mix your fruit in the actual cup you drink your smoothies out of.  This is the perfect gift because I vowed to focus on my health this year. 

Since Christmas I've kind of become a smoothie expert.  I know exactly how to make the perfect blends in less then five minutes.  I have also gone the extra mile and researched great ingredients to add each morning to enhance my smoothies that makes them healthier.  See below. 

I've shared two of my favorite smoothie recipes below.  Enjoy! 

Pineapple, Peach, and Banana Smoothie 

Blend all ingredients together.  Serve Cold.
  • half cup coconut water
  • half cup pineapple juice
  • one cup pineapple, cubed
  • one banana
  • one cup frozen peaches 
  • one tablespoon of grated ginger 
  •  one teaspoon of flaxseeds
  • four to six cubes of ice
























"Green" Berry Smoothie

Blend all ingredients together.  Serve Cold.
  • one to two cups of spinach
  • one cup almond milk
  • one cup frozen strawberries
  • one cup frozen blueberries
  • one cup frozen raspberries 
  • one banana
  • four to six cubes of ice
  • agave nectar, to taste 
























Added Healthiness.  You can add all or one of the below in your morning smoothie to make it healthier.  I am no doctor, but have seen a difference already.  AND  you can't even taste these extra components so if you are thinking these sounds gross you won't even know it is there!

Spinach has a ton of Vitamin K that contributes to a healthy nervous system and brain function.  It is also great for your bones, skin, digestive system, and vision.

Ginger is used as a natural remedy.  I suffer with back-pain, migraines, and heartburn (thanks dad!), it is said to help relieve those annoyances.  It is also supposed to help motion sickness and menstrual cramps. 

Flaxseeds are a great source of fiber and works as a natural laxative.  It is also said to lower cholesterol, favorably affects immunity, and lowers blood pressure.


Enjoy and Stay Healthy!

Sincerely,

Sandy


Smoothies Tips

1. Make sure to use enough liquid.  Instead of using fatty dairy products I use almond milk, coconut water, or pineapple juice.  

2. Frozen fruit can be pricey.  Surprisingly, I've found the cheapest at Whole FoodsI also freeze fruit once it is getting older, it lasts for months.

3. Be creative, that is how I came up with the two above

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! You can make me one when we come visit :)

    ReplyDelete