Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Not Your Average Betty Crocker

If you know me you know baking and I do not get along.  I have tried time after time to create the perfect dessert, but can't grasp this concept for the life of me.  Since I moved to New Mexico I have completely given up this lifelong experiment.  Not being a great baker to begin with, cooking at 7,000 feet above sea level is not the easiest thing.  The first time I made bread it was burnt on the outside and mushy on the inside, the first time I tried cookies, they came out flat ... like brittle, I can never get cupcakes to rise, and would never consider trying to make a cake.

I was fortunate enough to attend a baking class at the Santa Fe Culinary Academy last week and decided to try to make banana bread muffins a few days after.  I was surprised with how they turned out.  They were moist, rose, and very tasty!  I tweaked a recipe on foodnetwork.com and will use it again over and over from now on.  I even brought them to work yesterday and my coworkers asked for more today!  That is a good sign, right?


Banana Nut Bread Muffins
 1 cup granulated sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
2 large eggs
4 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup walnuts and/or chocolate chips
  
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and prepare muffin tin.  

Cream sugar and butter using stand mixer or handheld beaters.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. 

In small bowl, mash bananas with fork and fold in milk and cinnamon.

In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. 

Add banana mixture to the creamed mixture, stir until combined.  Add dry ingredients slowly, mixing until flour disappears.  Add walnuts or chocolate chips after mixture has completely combined. 

Pour batter into prepared muffin tin and bake about 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Let cool for a bit and the enjoy! 


*Remember that I live 7,000 feet above sea level, your time and temperature might have to be adjusted a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment