Monday, May 28, 2012

Is Seafood Meat?

My last blog post received a few arguable responses regarding the debate of seafood – is it meat or not? I am not one to judge or disagree with opinions and think everyone who commented or thought ‘What is this girl thinking?’  is entitled to their opinion. With that said, I would like to take the chance to refer to a few disputes on this topic.

Since we are consuming the flesh of an animal vegetarians believe seafood to be a meat.  It is understood that fish, shrimp, clams, etc. can feel pain and that they aren’t swimming vegetables, right? This is debatable because people who are pescetarians are really vegetarians who consume seafood. They allow this consumption believing seafood to be a non-meat.

Some people believe the term meat was actually created by the meatpacking companies and that the word refers to the flesh of mammals, excluding seafood and poultry.  (So now chicken isn’t meat?) And on a culinary level red meat is known as meat, chicken as poultry, fish as seafood, and wild animal as game. (Now the only actual “meat” is red meat?) 

Now I’m confusing myself.  I can see why some people believe seafood to be meat when others don’t.  I don’t know what my stance is since there are so many opinions regarding this topic, but I do know that adding this to my diet has made me healthier and right now that is all I care about. 

Thanks for reading and please feel free to post what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment