Sunday, November 6, 2011

On Foot

Adam, Andy’s childhood friend and the best man at our wedding, visited us in the beginning of September. Hosting him was a pleasure. I noticed how much I love showing my friends and family around Santa Fe; the culture, history, and scenery is breathtaking. (I will extend an invite once again … if you or anyone you know are at all interested in visiting New Mexico please let me know!)

Anyway, Andy took a few days off when Adam was visiting, they spent almost every day hiking. When I came home from work they would tell me about their adventures and show me photos they snapped. I saw how invigorating this new hobby might be and asked Andy if we could start hiking on a regular basis together. 

Our first hike was absolutely awful! Andy, Kimber, and I drove to Tesuque Creek, the trail was a slight incline and very rocky. We purchased a hiking guide prior to our trip that rated this trail as easy … easy is relative, I was complaining after 15 minutes. I didn’t understand the purpose of hiking, “We are just walking in the woods!” I kept saying to Andy, “This is SO stupid!”  Then to make matters worst the temperature dropped significantly and it started down pouring rain! By the time we returned to our car we were shivering and could ring the rainwater out of our clothes. Worst experience ever!

Before this so called hike Andy bought me a pair of hiking boots ... I couldn’t make excuses, I had to try again. 

Our next hike ... Black Canyon Loop ... I thought this trail was going to be the death of me. It is only a 1.5 mile hike, but the first half-mile or more is up hill. Yes, it was beautiful, but I didn’t care, I wanted to make sure I was going to make it to the end before I saw the white lights! 



I was so thrilled when I finally made it, honestly, as pathetic as this sounds this was the hardest thing I’ve ever done physically. I was so proud of myself, I became hooked. 

Glorietta Ghost Town was the last trail we hiked. This was amazing! Andy had hiked this when Adam visited and wanted to take me. He said that horses would walk around freely and come up to you, but this didn’t happen when I hiked it. However, the trail itself was very rewarding, it took us three hours, the scenery was amazing, and the fact that it was an old logging town was very interesting. 



With that said, I’m happy to have found this new hobby. It is physically rewarding, inexpensive, and gives a chance for us to explore new places.  Andy and I are hoping to get a few more hikes in this fall before the snow accumulates!

2 comments:

  1. haha this post made me laugh! What great stories you'll have, getting stuck in the rain is living! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear you have an appreciation for one of our all-time favorite past times. Once you become as hooked as Gina and me, you will be winter-hiking in no time! Sending love!

    ReplyDelete