Friday, November 18, 2011

Facebook

I will be the first to admit that I am a social media junkie; I am constantly checking my Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn account and love to stay connected to my family and friends back in Michigan. I love the fact that my mom is a click away, I can see photos of my friend’s babies, and can update my thoughts instantly. And I can’t forget to mention how much my blog has helped me get through the past year. Social media is a medicine for my homesickness and is always there for me when I need it. 

With that said, I would like to remind people the purpose of Facebook. Facebook was originally created by a Harvard student. The site was to allow users to stay in touch with friends and to unite people with common interests. It was supposed to be for Harvard students only, but eventually it was open to Ivy League students. Then soon after most students in the United States and Canada who had a college e-mail address were able to sign up. And in 2005, Facebook became available to anyone who held a valid e-mail account and now many companies use it as a marketing tool.  

I normally hate complaining, but I can’t stand it any longer. I absolutely hate it when people update their account constantly, post about every step of their day, complain about how much their life sucks, etc. Facebook is not a diary and most people do not care about your doctor appointment you had in the morning or if your kids are acting up, if you need someone to talk to pick up the phone and vent through the airwaves not through cyberspace.

In my opinion, (my blog, my opinion) people who post way too much about their lives on Facebook are posting for attention. Well, guess what? I'm not giving out attention anymore! The next "friend" who posts too much and it shows up on my news-feed ...... I'm deleting YOU. I know this sounds cruel, but come on, don't others feel the same way as me? It is just too much to handle, not to mention reading all that negativity can bring a person down and I'm not going to surround myself with negative people.

I'm not calling myself a saint, I use my account to stay connected to the friends I have back home. I'm sure when I first signed up for my Facebook account I posted things I should not have, but as a 24 year old I know what is right and wrong. I don’t care if you are 14, 25, or 62 … It is time to grow up!!

3 comments:

  1. I agree Sandy!!! Even if its positive it bothers me... people who post their daily activities and post more than once a day drive me crazy! They hog my mini-feed and I just DON'T care that much!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. could not agree with you more! i have been deleting people due to that for a long time now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! I do not need to know about every minute of anyones day. I too have found myself posting some things that are unnecessary. That's when I step back and re-evaluate. And that is also why I created a blog about my kids for my close friends and family. I've found that I have too many nosey "friends" on facebook. You go ahead and speak your mind girl!

    ReplyDelete