Sunday, October 16, 2011

A New Cure

It’s been over a year since my first move to the U.P. and almost ten months since my second to Santa Fe, New Mexico. I’ve suffered with homesickness during these transitions, but am now learning how to mend the pain through different remedies. Recently I found a new cure!

If you know me, you know I love to cook. Cooking has helped me in many ways. It helps me keep my mind off of things, calms me down, brings a huge sense of satisfaction after completing a tasty meal, and creates memories and/or brings back memories depending on what I’m cooking. (Sometimes I purposely make meals my mom used to just to soak in the familiar smells and tastes, it truly works!) 

With that said, I’m going to start adding recipes to my blog. Below is a recipe for a popular ingredient in New Mexican cuisine. 

Green Chile Sauce
 
Ingredients
2 pounds roasted, pealed, seeded, chopped, green chile (We have green chiles available to purchase from local farms and grocers in New Mexico, however,  I’ve found two canned brands that aren’t bad, Embasa Whole Green Chile Peppers and Hatch Farms Fire-Roasted Diced Green Chiles.)
¼ cup olive oil
¼ all-purpose flour
3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions
Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat, add flour and whisk constantly. Once ingredients are completely mixed add chopped green chiles and garlic to saucepan and mix until all ingredients marry.The mixture will become thick and change color slightly; the consistency should be like a gravy.

Leave the mixture in the saucepan to simmer, about 20 minutes or more. Stir regularly.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Local grocers will roast chiles for free if you purchase from them in Santa Fe. We had 20lbs roasted and froze in 2 lb increments. When you need them unthaw, peal, seed, and then they are ready to go! If you don't want to make the above recipe you can use pieces or strips of the chiles on the below suggestions.



This green chile sauce can be added to all kinds of recipes to give familiar flavors a nice spicy kick. Below are a few suggestions.


add a tablespoon to mac’n’cheese
top on burgers
use as pizza topping
spread on a grilled cheese sandwich
add a little to a pot of chili
use as  topping for tacos, burritos, or enchiladas
mix a tablespoon with salsa or queso
stuff chicken, pork, or shrimp
use as a spicy relish on hot dogs


I hope you enjoy and watch for more recipes! Please e-mail me with any questions or suggestions at sandra.lynn.morello@gmail.com

1 comment: