Thursday, October 6, 2011

Inn at Loretto


 It has been exactly one month since I started my new job. On September 6, 2011 I became the Marketing Coordinator at the Inn and Spa at Loretto. The position was created due to the new social media marketing epidemic. A freelancer in Ohio was working long distantly as the Inn’s Marketing Coordinator, but after much consideration the General Manager and Director of Marketing and Sales decided to find someone local to Santa Fe. 

I wasn’t looking for a new job, however, I received a random email regarding this position on a Friday morning. I thought ‘what the heck’ and applied right away. Within two hours the Director of Marketing and Sales called, gushed over my resume, and set up an interview for the following Monday. 

The process was extremely unusual. The HR director ran into the lobby of the hotel yelling, “Where is my beautiful friend, Sandy.” (Mind you, I’ve never met this woman, nor talk to her in my entire life!) She led me to the offices behind the hotel, showed me what she announced as “my office,” and introduced me to her staff as their “new” Marketing Coordinator. I was really taken back so I asked her how many people they were considering for this position. Her exact words were, “Are you kidding? We hope you are the first and only!” NO PRESSURE!

That Friday they offered me the job.

I’m only part-time, but know that if I push myself and show that I’m hardworking, passionate, and willing to learn I can move up in no time. As of now, I'm in charge of all social media aspects and our Artist in Residence Program. Also, I help create packages for guests and other projects that happen around the hotel. Daily, my duties have grown.

I’m so blessed to be given this opportunity. I’m taking each day one at a time and am considering this a learning experience more than a job. I’ve learned about the hospitality business, website design, how to trademark (just to name a few) all in one month. I can’t wait to keep soaking in all this information and become the best I can be.

PS: I want to thank my amazing friends and family, I could not have accomplished all I have in the past year if I didn’t have your support, guidance, and love. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment