Thursday, May 5, 2011

Help Me!!

My time here in Santa Fe has been absolutely perfect!! Andy had a job lined up months before the big move, we found a house to rent two months prior, the lab pick up the bills for relocating, and I found a job five days after we were (somewhat) settled. I’ve enjoyed everything Andy and I have discovered and visited here in Santa Fe. I am so blessed and lucky to be living the life I am living so I hope this isn’t taken the wrong way, because I am the happiest I’ve ever been in my entire life. There is just one thing I’m struggling with …. I NEED GIRLFRIENDS!!! 

I work with only five people who are at least 15 years older than me and Andy works with mostly boys. I’ve met one girl through Andy and have hung out with her a handful of times, but think it’s healthy to have more than just one friend. I need to find some friends who can fill this void. I’m not trying to replace my old friends, trust me; they cannot be replaced. I have the best friends a girl could ask for and hate that I can’t be with them at anytime like I used to. However, I need to find new friends too. I’m going crazy not being able to go out for drinks, pedi’s, or even chat (in person) with a girl my age.

If there is anyone out there who knows a way I can make new friends I would really appreciate some advice. I’ve been to a couple classes at a gym to broaden my search, but friends normally do that together so clicks were already formed before I even showed up. I’m thinking about joining a yoga class so maybe that will help, but it is just so awkward introducing yourself to someone you think you can be friends with. Will you be my friend? Really? How do you bring up that conversation?

There is this girl who works above my office and I think she is around my age. She is really nice (sometimes our mail gets messed up so I bring her hers and she brings me mine) and think she could be a great friend. But … I don’t ever know her name, let alone know how to ask her if she would like to hang out. I feel like such a creeper!! Please someone help me!!

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you could strike up a conversation the next time you are trading mail and ask her where she and her girl friends go to have 'girl time'? That could lead in to you explaining you've transplanted from the wonderful state of Michigan...and that you are missing the fun times w/ friends. I think that is a completely non-creeper lead in. Every person struggles with belonging issues- no matter if you are in your 20's or 40's. You can find a new true friend who will recognize this and work to help you find a new normal in your new home town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could also join a church where there will be a community and people will reach out to you! You might be lucky and find a church with a "20's 30's" group!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are actually in the process of looking for a church. I went to one a couple weeks ago while Andy was gone, but really didn't like it (too big). Once Andy is done traveling we are going to search harder, but I didn't even think to ask about a "20's 30's" group. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete