Sunday, April 10, 2011

A Woman’s Best Friend

I was driving home from work on Friday afternoon and noticed four wandering dogs and two tied up to a bench in front of two different stores near my house all in fifteen minutes. I couldn’t believe what I saw and would never think of tying my dog, Kimber, up to a bench while I went shopping! I sleep with, talk to, and treat Kimber like she is my own child. Andy and I take her everywhere with us and would be devastated if anything happened to her. 

My parents taught my brothers and me to treat all animals with love and respect. We’ve always had at least one animal in our household as children and I cherish the fact that while I was growing up I was able to learn how to love and take care of every single one of them. 

Kimber, however, holds a special place in my heart. My dad found her while hunting (which seems crazy since I’m talking about respecting animals, but that is the circle of life, right?) at my grandparent’s home about two years ago and drove her miles away from their house every time she came around. (He said it was because she was spooking the deer, but we all know it wasn’t Kimber!)

Anyway, Kimber found her way back every time. So I asked my grandpa to bring Kimber to my parent’s house the next time he saw her so I could find her a home since no one in their neighborhood claimed her. Within a couple days I fell in love with her. The deal was I could keep her if I paid for everything and when I moved out she came with me.

It has been two in half years since Kimber was found. She cuddles with me every morning, greets me at the door when I come home from work, and has a personality that is so intoxicating it makes me smile every time I see her.


It breaks my heart that some animals do not have a home like Kimber does. Someday I will teach my children to treat animals with love and respect like my parents taught me – thank you mom and dad! (Kimmy says thank you too!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment